- Retrofits to existing assets
If a pond, lake or stream isn’t meeting water cleaning demands, the SPEL Floating Wetlands system can be retrofitted straight onto the existing asset.
- Cost savings
Our Floating Wetlands require a very low capital investment compared to traditional systems. There are no operational energy costs whatsoever, and maintenance costs are extremely low. For example, one client achieved annual energy savings of over $150,000, by installing an anaerobic pond that was set up to eliminate odour.
- Proven effective performance
The treatment process is simple, completely biological and highly effective, due to naturally occurring microbes providing unsurpassed water improvement results. In rigorous scientific studies, our media consistently performed to a far higher standard than required by national water treatment standards.
SPEL Floating Wetlands are extremely flexible, and provide many options that traditional systems can’t. For example, Floating Wetlands can:
- Fit into any existing space or water body shape
- Produce excellent results in extreme climate or environmental conditions
- Easily be adjusted to concentrate on removing particular pollutants to suit your situation
- Operate without problems on a fluctuating water level
- Increase your retention times for treatment manipulation
The system works on the underlying principles of the ecosystem, which means it’s naturally self-cleaning — resulting in almost no maintenance fees over its lifespan.
- Zero land use
When water treatment demands outgrow facilities, the installation of SPEL Floating Wetlands will enable effective treatment without the cost of purchasing additional land. Additionally, in areas where irrigation schemes are used to dispose of treated water, the efficiency of our system in reducing nutrients in treated water means that less land is required for the disposal fields.In some cases, local authorities have saved half a million dollars by retrofitting floating wetlands to their existing pond, rather than acquiring additional land and constructing an alternative wetland system.
- Minimal environmental impact
- Our Floating Wetlands do not require power to operate, so you won’t burn fossil fuels or use up electricity.
- The manufacturing process is extremely low-energy since there are no refined products — recycled PET and a natural treatment matrix.
- Plants from eco-sourced seeds harmonise with the natural vegetation.
- The treatment process itself satisfies stringent water quality consent requirements, while eliminating the need for chemical dosing.
- Utilisation of the media avoids high-impact concrete-and-steel construction.
To read more about international research that’s been carried out on the floating wetlands, click here.